Is it breakfast, snack, or dessert? Who cares it’s banana bread aboard! And a healthy, delicious strawberry banana bread that can be made any time of year with the help of dried strawberries if you don’t have fresh. Nothing refrigerated needed and ingredients you likely have on hand. Strawberries and bananas are a great flavor combo.
Perfect with your morning coffee or tea in the cockpit, a snack after a fun afternoon of snorkeling, or a late night snack before climbing in your bunk.
Summertime Strawberry Banana Bread
Category Galley & Health
Also great for muffins. Just reduce baking time to 20-25 minutes.
- 1 ¾ cup whole grain spelt flour (or whatever flour you have on hand)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 3 large, ripe bananas
- ¼ cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder (or cornstarch)
- 4 tbsps water
- ½ cup non-dairy sour cream (or silken tofu combined with 1 tsp apple cider vinegar)
- 1 cup strawberries, (fresh or rehydrated ) chopped
- Sliced almonds (optional)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a loaf pan with vegetable spray.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda and salt.
- In a food processor add the bananas, coconut oil, sugar, vanilla, flax, arrowroot powder, water and sour cream. Pulse until creamy.
- Fold the strawberries into the flour mixture, reserving a few slices for the top if desired. Stir until the strawberries are coated. Add the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and top with the reserved strawberries and sliced almonds if desired, pressing the almonds into the batter slightly.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool 10-15 minutes before slicing.
- To store, let the bread cool completely then place in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 7 days (it won’t last that long). 🙂