Pineapple and Toasted Coconut Baked Oatmeal
Tropical flavors just seem to go perfectly on a boat, whether palm trees are on the horizon or not. We love this baked oatmeal, and I especially love it because it’s super easy to throw together, and doesn’t necessarily require anything refrigerated, which is always a bonus for the cruising liveaboard.
If you have room in your boat frig, I think it’s better if you can mix it up the night before. It gives the oats time to absorb some of the liquid before it’s baked. And it gives us more time to enjoy the morning in the cockpit. 🙂
It’s delicious warm from the oven or chilled the next day. And can be served with a fork on a plate, or spoon it into a bowl topped with a splash of cold milk and a drizzle of syrup. Great for a pot luck too!
Tropical Sail Away Home Baked Oatmeal
If you prepare this the night before, take it out of the refrigerator to warm up while the oven is preheating.
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups unsweetened nondairy milk (I use hemp)
- 1/2 cup plain nondairy yogurt OR applesauce
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup pure maple syrup (depending on your sweet tooth)
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups diced pineapple (fresh or canned)
- 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray or rub with a little coconut oil.
- Mix oats, coconut, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, maple syrup, yogurt (or applesauce), coconut oil and vanilla.
- Add wet ingredients to dry, stir to combine. The mixture will have a soupy consistency. Fold in the pineapple, and pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish.
- If using macadamia nuts, sprinkle on top and press gently into the oatmeal.
- Bake until golden brown and firm to the touch, 50 minutes to an hour.
- Cool for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Looks delicious Julie, I definitely have to try it
It’s yummy Gerda, I bet you guys would like it! Let me know what you think.